Veteran Aid & Attendance

Veteran Support

As a veteran, you may be entitled to aid and assistance for your daily needs. If you require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing yourself, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment, you may qualify for this service through the Department of Veteran Affairs.

To apply for this service, view the “Aid and Attendance Application”, below.

Requirements For Aid And Attendance

  • The veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty. One of those days must be during a period of war:
    • World War II – 12/7/41 – 12/31/46
    • Korean Conflict – 6/27/50 – 1/31/55
    • Vietnam Era – 8/5/64 through 5/7/75; also Veterans who served in county in Vietnam, 2/28/61 – 8/5/1964
  • The veteran must have received a discharge from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable.

One of the following conditions must be met:

  • The need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) – bathing, dressing transferring to and from bed, toileting and medication management, etc. OR
  • The claimant is legally blind or nearly blind, OR
  • A significant medical diagnosis by a doctor (A VA Form 21-2680 is attached for your doctor to document your medical conditions.)
  • The VA compares the relationship between a claimant’s income (Social Security, pension(s), and all other income) against the veteran’s medical expenses (assisted living, home care, skilled nursing, adult day, and health insurance premiums).
  • If the claimant spends all of their income on countable medical expenses, they should be entitled to a monthly income from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If the claimant spends a portion of their income on care-related medical expenses, they may be eligible for a partial benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • The VA looks at every claim individually and makes a net worth determination based on the facts and circumstances of the case. The VA will not consider you for pension if you have combined assets in excess of $129,000 (not counting your home of residence) or property in excess of two acres which can be sold to meet your financial obligations.
  • Net worth is based on a combined household income. If the veteran is married, the spouse’s income and assets are also included.
  • Assets include but are not limited to savings, checking, 401k, Roth funds, CDs, mutual funds, etc.

The VA look back rule, also referred to as a look back period, establishes a period of 36-months (3 years) in which the VA “looks back” on all asset transfers made for less than they are worth.

  • Military separation or discharge papers (DD-214 or other Discharge paperwork)
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate(If you have had multiple marriages, you will need to provide information from each marriage – names, dates of marriage, locations, reasons marriage ended, dates ended, etc.)
  • Current Social Security Award Letter
  • Monthly Statement(s) from Private Pension Program(s)
  • Monthly Health Insurance Bill(s), as well as home care, assisted living, adult day care, or nursing home invoice if paid out-of-pocket and not reimbursed by a long-term care insurance policy, Medicaid, or other insurance programs
  • Physician Statement that provides detailed information about your diagnosis, current medical status, prognosis, ability to care for yourself, and need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs): VA FORM 21-2680
  • If you are in a nursing home, or a family member of a veteran in a nursing home, you also need a VA FORM 21-0779: Nursing Home Status Statement
  • In-Home Attendant Statement – If the veteran has someone being paid to come to the house and assist with the Activities of Daily Living, click here to complete and submit the correct form that must be completed.
  • Voided Check for direct deposit of the monthly payment.

The Veteran’s pension application is the most complicated application process that we deal with.
The Veteran Service Officer can assist with every step in the process.